Monday, February 18, 2008

The Many Methods of Notetaking

I'm just going to begin a series on Note-taking. Note taking is one of the most debated and discussed topics on the internet and off it. There are as many methods as there are people. I'll share, in these three or four days, a series of different methods of note taking, some of which I have used personally, and can review. I hope you all will benefit from it.

We're going to begin with an interesting method I came across recently: The Cornell Method of note taking. Someone on the internet recommended it, and thus I was quite intrigued, and researched it up a bit. I found it interesting, as well as organized, and though I haven't tried it yet, you might want to. I will try it out one of these days and share the experience, but with the exams starting in a week I am reluctant to try anything new. If you are a user of the Cornell Method, please do leave a comment and share the experience!

The Cornell Method is as follows:

- Rule your paper with a 2 ½ inch margin on the left leaving a six-inch area on the right in which to make notes.

- During the class, take down notes in the six inch column. Leave a few lines whenever the educator moves on to a new topic.

- When class gets over, take some time and complete whatever half-finished sentences and other such things.

- Now, read over the information, and in the 2 1/2 inch margin, put key words and cues. For eg. if you were studying agiculture in biology and learned about two methods, broadcasting and dibbling, you could put the word "broadcasting" where you have written about it, and "dibbling" where you wrote about dibbling.

- When studying, cover up the six inch column, read the cue word, and try to say as much of the covered material as possible.

Des says:

I think this seems a very organized and neat method, which might help people stay organized. So go ahead and try it!

No comments: